Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:39:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chuck <cdc2@csd.uwm.edu>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>, Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

How can you tell the difference between a sloppy admin and one who has
only been working the field for a few years and hasnt learned all the
stuff that you have in all your years in it.. Why should we have to spend
all our time keeping up with things like patches, upgrades, new hardware,
virus while trying to keep our customer base happy providing 99.99% uptime
and trying to fend out everyone person (its not just kids) with a computer
who want to see how much trouble they can cause and either not get caught
or get caught so they can put it on a job resume that they know how to
mess up peoples machines.

I run a MS shop and with all that I have to do its impossible to keep up,
the only thing saving my butt is that MS has only limited release of
source code so that everyone who knows C cant just browse though and find
the holes, but even still I dont know when I can go thought a week without
having problems from somewhere.

Im my experence its impossible to keep your network from getting
comprised, and when I aggree that sloppy administartion should be a crime,
I dont think we should have to spend every waking hour to make sure we
patch up every hole (an impossiblity if you have even ONE authorized
user).

Charles Carerros
LAN Administrator
Center for International Education
University Wisconsin-Milwaukee
cdc2@uwm.edu

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Kal Torak wrote:

> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:03:54 +1000
> From: Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
> To: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
> Cc: Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)
>
> > I really hate to say this, but we need some well-written laws to deal with
> > this crap, so we can go after these people.   Perhaps not with a criminal
> > penalty but a civil one instead....
>
> Why should network scanning be a crime at all? If anything should be a crime
> its sloppy admins that let there networks get comprimised...
>
> Network scanning is no big deal.. people should just live with it!

Charles Carerros
cdc2@uwm.edu

   When a nation re-awakens, its finest sons are prepared to give their
lives for its liberation.   When Empires are threatened with collapse,
they are prepared to sacrifice their non-commissioned officers.
        --Menachem Begin
          Leader of the Irgun,
          The Revolt (1951)