Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2002 10:28:56 -0500
From:      "Amy Shaftoe" <amyshaftoe@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Perhaps a new "distribution"?

> > would love to be able to use BSD on. I need a bit of user
> > data space, so I
> > think a striped down distro (small enough to fit on, let say,
> > 50-100MB) but with full funcionality would be great for me.
>
>Well the only thing I would wish for at the moment is one or two
>additional distribution choices in the FreeBSD installer. "Minimal"
>takes up about 80 MB at the moment, but includes things you may not need
>on a truly minimal system (like e.g. compilers). It would be cool if a
>more detailed choice could be made during installation, say up to a
>granularity where you can decide whether or not you want Perl, or gcc,
>or sendmail, etc. That would render my guide almost obsolete, however.

I just wish I could install the current FreeBSD distribution on a
machine with only 8 MB of memory.  I think 4.3 was the last release
where that was possible.  I tried to build custom boot floppies for
4.5 with most of the ethernet drivers removed.  While I got a little
further in the boot process with these floppies, it still failed.
Has anyone had any success in doing this?

On some machines I have (old laptops) adding more RAM isn't an
option and removing the hard drive to do the install somewhere else
is a pain.