Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:02:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   parallelport problems, ALi 1542 chipset

Dear Sirs.
I posted a question before in one of the related newsgroup for this problem
but it seems that nobody wants to give an answer or nobody has an answer. I'll
try it here again and hope it will have success.

I have a printserver, based on FreeBSD 3.4. Hardware is:
Gigabyte 5GAA main PCB, based on ALi Chipset 1542-100 (Aladdin-V AGPset Chip)
CPU AMD K6-2 500MHz
memory 128MBytes PC100 RAM
NIC 3COM 3C905B-TX (at 100MB/full duplex)
Adaptec 2940U Controller
Matrox G200 graphics device
noname 8 bit additional parallel port card on ISA bus, EPP capabilities.

Phenomenon: this system is our printserver, operating with two laser printers.
When printing via lpt0 (built in port) I recognize no performance losses of the
system, but whenever someone prints out via lpt1, the additional parallel port
interface, this system crashes in performance and for the time the spooler is
copying data via lpt1 the server is not accessible via network. Working on console
of this machine I realise nothing, but performance of diskdevice seems to be
compromised. Accessing this machine via network is impossible! Whenever someone
prints out, ping latency pushes up to >16, >25 ms (nomrally 0.200 - 0.500 on our LAN).

I changed this additional parallelport card against an older type board (16 bit multi I/O
adaptor) - and realized the same! Before I used a GigaByte board based on SiS chipset and
I never realized those performance losses so it seems to be a problem of the internal driver
of FreeBSD or generally a problem of the PCI-ISA bridge of ALi chips. Before posting my
kernel configurations it would be nice whether you can give me hints and tips or discuss this
problem. If you're sure it was related to the mainboard/chipset please report me! But ordering
a new main PCB could run me into the same problems so I would like to be informed prior to avoid
mistakes.

Additional, I must say that I configured the additional port like this:

controller      ppbus0
controller      ppbus1

controller      ppc0    at isa? port "IO_LPT1" flags 0x08 tty irq 7 drq 1
controller      ppc1    at isa? port "IO_LPT2" flags 0x04 tty irq 5 drq 3

device          lpt0    at ppbus0
device          lpt1    at ppbus1

Hope that is enough information to make any decissions ...

Best wishes and thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann

Gruss O. Hartmann