Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 11:11:08 PDT
From:      "Jeff Bluemel" <jeffbluemel@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3com etherlink III network card

I am having trouble with a 3 com etherlink III network card 3c509TP.  I
am using Freesbd ver. 2.2.7  The setup that I have is:
I have one main computer (server, what I am doing is installing the
network card through the kernel of the client machine and then setting
the host to the server and I am wanting to install Freebsd throught the
network.  After I enter all of the IP address and the host name and
click OK, the following message flashes onto the screen and does
nothing:

         ifconfig ep0 inet 198.248.103.167 netmask 255.255.255.0

I found in your documentation that this card is supported but in
pranthesis is stated that it was buggy.  Do you have any suggestions.
Also I saw in the documention that the irq for this card should be 10
and the base address should be 0x300.  I have the base address set to
0x300 but the irq is set to 5, does that matter.

thanks for your help