Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:33:35 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32bit Linux dri apps on FreeBSD/amd64?

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 06:54:25PM +0200, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> > To fix this, the drm driver would have to know if ioctls were being made
> > by a 32-bit program, and adjust the parameter size tests accordingly. I
> > do not know if that is possible.
>=20
> Besides the work the DRI people are doing I wonder if it could be
> possible to write some sort of 'proxy' that would sit between linux_dri a=
nd
> the kernel's drm module, doing the necessary translations. Considering
> that Linux apps try to open /compat/linux/dev first it might actually
> be doable. I'll have to investigate that.

It certainly looks doable. But it might be too much overhead. Every bit
of data passed between the user process and the kernel would have to be
converted if necessary. One way of doing that would be to add this code
to the relevant macros in drm_os_freebsd.h, but it give an unacceptable
drop in performance.

IMHO a pseudo-driver linked to /compat/linux/dev is a better idea. That
way, only the processes that need it have to accept the translation
overhead.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.