Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:18:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS exports file

You can only export mount points.  Not subdirectory's of mount points.

Despite the lack of df output here, I would assume you have a situation
where /home is a symlink to /usr/home and /usr is the mount point.

In this case you need to export /usr

--Chris

Gavin Kenny said:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm trying my hand at setting up NFS. I have followed
> the handbook and all the deamons seem to startup OK
>
> but when I edit my /etc/exports file and load it via:
> kill -HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`
>
> I get the following message:
> "bad exports list line /home "
>
> I have one line in my exports file and have tried the
> following combinations without success; (Note I don't
> have DNS so I am using IP addresses)
>
> /home -alldirs 123.456.789.123
> or
> /home 123.456.789.123
> or
> /home -alldirs -network 123.456.789.123
> or
> /usr/home -network 123.456.789.123
>
> and all stations south.
>
> When I try to mount from the client I get "Permission
> denied", which I am assuming is because the exports
> list is not loading.
>
> so what am I doing wrong?
>
> cheers
>
> Gavin

Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire