Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:06:32 +0400
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   GNU tar on FreeBSD

Hello,
I have one question about GNU tar on FreeBSD.

It has -T option which gives file name from which tar will get file list.
On GNU/Linux I can use command:
"find $f ! -name $f -type f -newer /usr/local/etc/backup/last_`basename $f` \
  | tar czT - -f $STORAGE_DIR/$bf.tgz"

On FreeBSD I got tar: "too many args with -T option"

Ok, I tried
find [...] >file
and then tar cz -T file -f $STORAGE_DIR/$bf.tgz and got

tar: can't add file -Ttar (child):  : No such file or directory
can't open archive /dev/rsa0 : Device not configured

One thing I can not understand. We have GNU tar. We have GNU gzip, but why
I cant get same results?
I can rewrite my backup process with cpio (it gets file names from stdin by
default) But "WHY?"

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia