Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:13:52 -0400
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "Sean McNeil" <sean@mcneil.com>
Cc:        "tony" <tony@tntpro.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <jj@nttmcl.com>
Subject:   RE: new dhcp client causing problems

No, it would say New IP Address if it were giving you a new IP address.  As
JJ mentioned in another e-mail.  The network address is a function of
and'ing your IP and Subnet Mask.  Even if your actual IP address changed
every 5 minutes, I wouldn't expect your Network Address to change very
often, unless you were moved to a different subnet.

I looked at my /var/log/messages and it is logging the 'new network number'
message every 3-5hrs.  (Mind you I'm not having any dropout problems)

If you look through your /var/db/dhclient.leases, the 'New Network Number'
messages should correspond with the 'renew' timestamps.

I believe the only real 'issue' here is that dhclient should be silently
renewing the lease (since nothing changes), but is (for some reason)
displaying these messages.  I was looking through /sbin/dhclient-script but
it's going to take some time for _me_ to figured it out.  Maybe someone else
on the list with a bit more experience can help.

(As for why Tony's are renewing every 5 minutes, even tho his lease renewal
times are hrs apart, I haven't figured out yet.  Tony, is your
/etc/resolv.conf writable by the dhclient process?)

--Chris