Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:05:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        nuk <nuk@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting, stopping, and reloading services

On 2002-11-25 23:12, nuk <nuk@panix.com> wrote:
> hmmm... well, cancel most of that; I found it in the hand book.  Except
> the part:  Isn't there an easier way?  Or is there a good reason for doing
> it like this, or a reason *not* to write a local script to
> start/stop/whatever based on the arguments passed to it?

The usual reason for such things is "nobody has done it already".
But in this case...

NetBSD has something similar to the scripts that SysV systems use
(like most Linux distributions).  The scripts still use rc.conf for
configuring the options and parameters of the services, and /etc/rc
takes care of running the proper /etc/rc.d/service scripts when the
system boots (or shuts down).  The order that the /etc/rc.d scripts
are executed is dynamically changed to satisfy dependencies that
these scripts might have.

The NetBSD rc scripts have been ported to FreeBSD 5.0 and have been
tested for quite a while in the CURRENT branch.  The upcoming
5.0-RELEASE of FreeBSD will use these scripts by default.

Now, I do realise that a lot of users will stick to 4.x releases until
the 5.x branch is considered stable enough for their purposes, and the
release notes of 5.0 include an "Early Adopter's Guide" that describes
why one would probably avoid running a 5.x release for some time.
Yet, this seemed like a good opportunity for me to advocate one of the
new, cool and exciting changes that 5.x will bring to the world :-]