Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2010 23:15:13 +0300
From:      Vlad Galu <dudu@dudu.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling kernel with gcc43 [SOLVED]

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrot=
e:
> Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br> wrote:
> =A0> [...]
> =A0> It's compiling right now.
> =A0>
> =A0> I'll post my findings and impressions on results and performance rig=
ht after
> =A0> the next reboot.
>
> So, how is it going? =A0Any benchmarks yet? =A0I'm curious
> if the new gcc version will really make a significant
> difference.

I'm not as worried about performance as I am about compatibilty.
Various software suites have started using newer GCCisms in their
code. One example I can give from the top of my head is Wt
(www.webtoolkit.eu), which compiles with 4.4, but not with 4.2. I
shamefully haven't dug any deeper to check which particular
syntactical construct offended 4.2.

Yes, one might say, after all it's the upstream developers who ought
to make sure their software compiles on FreeBSD, but some aditional
overhead on the shoulders of our port maintainers should be expected.