Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:17:59 -0800
From:      Lars Poulsen <lpoulsen@utilicom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebad-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, Tim Burgess <tim@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>, steveh@eecs.umich.edu, Olaf Kirsch <okir@monad.swb.de>
Subject:   Re: Strange NFS Problem

Yesterday, I wrote on freebsd-questions:
>I am running a mostly Linux shop, but have a single FreeBSD workstation to
>support an application which is only available for FreeBSD. I am NFS
exporting
>a 4GB /home file system from DIANA, my main Linux file server, and importing
>it to ATHENA, which runs FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
>Users on ATHENA (the FreeBSD system) can read files on DIANA:/home,
>and they can create very small files, but if they try to write a file of
more than
>about 70 bytes, they get "FILE TRUNCATED" errors, and nothing gets written.

It was suggested to me that this problem had been discussed in the past on
freebsd-hackers, and that a fix was expected to be in FreeBSD 3.1 (due out
any day now). I failed to find any prior FreeBSD bug reports or
freebsd-hackers
discussion, but I think I have found a description and a partial fix in the
Debian
Linux bug database, http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/28/28642.html.

If I understand the writeup correctly, FreeBSD 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 will under some
circumstances generate a malformed write command packet, which is being
rejected by Linux NFSD versions from a October 1998, which happens to be
about when RedHat 5.2 was packaged. It would seem that upgrading either of
the two systems would resolve the problem.

Most likely, I will try to retrieve the latest binary package of Linux's
nfs-server
package and hope that fixes the problem.

I am sending this message to
- inform freebsd-questions readers (and archive searchers) about the solution
- ask freebsd-hackers to confirm that the problem is indeed resolved and which
  of the following releases contain the fix: 2.2.8, 3.0, 3.1 ??

/ Lars Poulsen                  E-mail:    <lpoulsen@utilicom.com>
  Senior Software Engineer      Telephone: +1-805-964-5848 ext 279
  UtiliCom Inc, 323 David Love Place, Santa Barbara, CA 93117, USA