Date:      Sun, 22 May 2016 22:32:44 +0200
From:      "bapt@freebsd.org" <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg chroot issues?

--bGR76rFJjkSxVeRa

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:31:08PM +0200, bapt@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 01:24:12PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > Crochet has some experimental hooks to install packages onto the system=
 being built, but this seems to be hitting problems due to limitations in '=
pkg -c'.  In particular, it seems that pkg performs the chroot before it do=
es any network lookups.  This is a problem if the chroot is not a complete =
system environment (which it cannot be when you're building an image for an=
other system).
> >=20
> > There's some further discussion on github:
> >=20
> >   https://github.com/freebsd/crochet/issues/141
> >=20
> > Any suggestions?
> >=20
> I'll reply directly to github thanks for pointing me to the ticket
>=20
> Best regards,
> Bapt

As people might only follow this thread and not the ticket here is what I
answered:

pkg supports an option for that which is pkg -o NAMESERVER=3D to avoid havi=
ng to
copy resolv.conf it was broken in 1.8 but I fixed it in pkg 1.8.0 which has=
 been
released today.

the problem with pkg -c is that it calls chroot very early. To avoid that
problem we have added pkg -r which does not perform any chroot at all there=
fore
having not network issue, but the ports tree are is not yet entirely aware =
of it
and some scripts (preinstall/postinstall) might cause some issues.
at least creating users from the script is safe in that regard. for most si=
mple
case that should work.

Best regards,
Bapt