Date:      Sat, 14 May 2011 14:24:14 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: boot question

On Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:38:37 AM you wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 09:44:42 -0400
> > From: Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
> > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > Subject: boot question
> >
> > How do I boot from a kernel that is in a non-standard location on a disk
> > that is partitioned with the GPT scheme?
>
> Things get a *LOT* messier if you want t relocate 'boot0' through 'boot4'
> as well as /boot/kernel.  Depending on _just_ what you want to do, you
> may have to build and install custom versions of those executables.

This is exactly what I want to do.  I want a minimum of three partitions on
the drive.  One for swap, of course, but the other two I want to be:
/boot
/

I have gotten the kernel to boot by tricking boot2 into finding boot.config by
locating it at /boot/boot.config rather than /boot.config and adding the
following line to boot.config:
0:ad(0,1,a)/kernel/kernel

This gets me to the point where I have to enter the mount points manually at
the "mountroot>" prompt.  So, this is good progress.

This skips the loader stage of booting, however, which I would like to not
have to do.  The problem is that if I put the following line in boot.config:
0:ad(0,1,a)/loader
then the loader cannot find its config file "loader.conf"

In boot(8) there doesn't seem to be a flag that you can pass to set where to
find loader.conf. So, how can I tell it where to find loader.conf if it is in a
non-standard location?