Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:39:32 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        Eka Kelana <eka@werty.wasantara.net.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Need Advice

Previously:
>  I'm a new comer in Unix Programming and still in an effort to figure out
>the Unix system. I'm especially interested in the internal structure, design
>and  implementation of BSD Socket (including the TCP/IP) in Unix kernel. I
>currently use FreeBSD to learn the Socket and TCP/IP code. But unfortunately
>I do not have any books to which I can  refer to understand the code. Is
>there anybody here who can help me to find such books? Please, if you
>suggest me to use a book, tell me the title, the author, price and a brief
>description of the book's contents and also tell me how I could get the book.

The two best books that I have seen are both by W. Richard Stevens.  The
first book I'd suggest is "Unix Network Programming", which will give you all
the details of how to use sockets.  The second book, "TCP/IP Illustrated,
Volume 2, The Implementation", describes all of the actual networking code in
4.4BSD-Lite.  I suspect this second book is what you really want...

UNIX Network Programming is published by Prentice Hall.  Rich is working on a
revision of this book now.  The TCP/IP Illustrated series is published by
Addison-Wesley.  I think that each of the two books is in the US $60 range...
You can get to Rich's WWW page at http://www.noao.edu/~rstevens...

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...

Chuck - Lord of Darkness?  Or Lord of Cuteness?