Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 16:45:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        tomppa@fidata.fi
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backup problem

> AMI SCSI adapter is EISA bus master and it also can do DMA over 16MB
> memory in Adaptec 1542 compability mode  but FreeBSD driver doesn't
> support it.

Sounds like you are confusing..

	1. Adpatec 1542 compatible mode is impossible to handling
           above 16MB due to 24bit pointer architecutre of firmware.
           So even hardware has 32bit addressing like EISA, driver
           can tell to firmware as 32bit address.
        2. Some old EISA mother board has a limitation to over 24 bit
           addressing phygically.

> I'm not using options BOUNCE_BUFFERS when running this
> card in Buslogic 742a EISA mode but with Adaptec driver FreeBSD wont
> even boot without it.

As far as I know, BOUNCE_BUFFERS is not for driver opiton, it's
implement to upper layer (i.e. SCSI system). Addition aha driver is no
longer compatible adaptec 1542 well know as industry standard ;-)

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341