Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:11:32 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Wilkinson,Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        <linuxsa@linuxsa.org.au>, <buga@lemis.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Super Block

Howdy Crew,

I am wanting to find out the significance of the Super Block, whether FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris...
whatever.

I know:

*  The Super Block contains critical data for the device's filesystem [but what ??].
*  It is located on sectors 16 through 31 at the beggining of the device.
*  FreeBSD keeps an alternate SuperBlock at the begging of every cylinder group.
*  The first alternate Super block on FBSD is at block 32.

This is all the info I could scrounge up.

What does the SuperBlock actually do ?
Why is the SuperBlock so critical ?

Can anyone give me a *good* summary on the purpose of the Super Block ?
And/Or any recommendations ?

 Thanks

  - Alex