Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:15:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System can't find shared library

>   % file libXaw.so.6.1
>   libXaw.so.6.1: FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped

I got the same as you did here

> You do not need to make X all on your own. There is a port for X,
> /usr/ports/x11/XFree86.
My ports is now working now - problem for another time...

>   % ldconfig -elf -r | grep directories
>           search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib
Got the same as you did here

>   % ldconfig -aout -r | grep directories
>           search directories: /usr/lib/aout:/usr/lib/compat/aout:/usr/X11R6/lib/aout:/usr/local/lib/aout
Here I got something like "hints file not found"

> See ldconfig(8) to check on how to fix the configuration if it is
> messed up.
Did that - set the hints file - and moved directories - it works!

One question - why would the upgrade not put the aout directories in the
right place to begin with?

Thanks for all your help. Cheers!