Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 00:12:03 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), gcorcoran@lucent.com (Gary T. Corcoran), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Module parameters? (WildWire DSL card driver)

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Under what circumstances is it permissable to want the old behaviour?
> >
> > Jeez Terry, I don't know, it's how it used to be so I assume it's for
> > compatibility or for drivers that simply don't care.  Am I missing
> > something here?
>
> I guess I'm asking "What moron would want to intentionally disable
> system resource tracking?".

Who said anything about disabling system resource tracking?  "track all
closes" means to call the devsw d_close function for *each* close, not just
for the "last close" as 99% of our drivers expect...  If we suddenly caused
d_close() to be called on every close() syscall, then existing drivers break
because they are used to freeing everything and cleaning up when the close
function is called.

Cheers,
-Peter