Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:25:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>, ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Perl... Somebody just shoot me and put me out of my misery!

--vhhcDnb5L84q0QGgLwRFIaTJeWNoemLqL

On 23/11/2013 22:12, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> and you will thus need to recompile all ports that depend on Perl.
> This is the part that is still utterly baffling.
>=20
> Why would _anything_ that is in any way dependent upon the Perl interpr=
eter
> need to be rebuilt?  In this switch to threads=3Don, has the language i=
tself
> changed?  And if not, shouldn't the change to multi-threading capabilit=
> within the interpreter be utterly transparent to (and a non-event for)
> any and all pre-existing Perl code?
>=20
> Obviously, there's something that I'm missing, but I have no idea what =
it
> might be.

Technically, you don't actually need to recompile something that's pure
perl, or that only requires perl to run some scripts.  However
everything that has a binary interface with perl -- XS modules, software
with embedded perl interpreters -- certainly will need recompiling to
match the new threaded ABI that has now become the default.

The advice to 'recompile everything that depends on perl' is overkill,
but it's a simple way to be sure that you have in fact recompiled
everything necessary.  Picking out only those ports that really needed
to be recompiled would require a procedure too unweildy to be usefully
described in UPDATING.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20