Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:21:35 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating cdrom

On 3/29/00, 10:31:31 AM, Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua> wrote=20
regarding Re: creating cdrom:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:57:21PM +0000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> > > I'd also recommend mkhybrid (/usr/ports/sysutils/mkhybrid) to crea=
te
> > ISO9660
> > > images. I successfully tried it myself. It can create hybrid Joile=
tt,
> > > Rockridge etc. images so that you have long names in both FreeBSD =
and
> > Windows.
> >
> > > --
> > > Sincerely etc.  Valery Zamarayev
> > > http://www.sea.com.ua
> >

> > Dear Valery Zamarayev,
> >
> > I have been using "mkisofs -D -U -R": curious as it may seem, it wor=
ks
> > like charm for me. I can access all my backed-up freebsd files with =
no
> > difficulty. I have even tried 9 levels of directory nesting. Not sur=
> > *if* and *where* I will hit the limit, if any ... :-)

> Is this Rockridge that makes >8 levels of directories ?
> I didn't try to create such images, so I won't tell you if mkhybrid=20
works too.

> > BTW, I issued some "diff -r" commands to make sure that my files had=

> > been correctly copied (safe paranoia).
> yeah, that's ... wise

> > Practically, I can save my freebsd trees with small to no changes in=

> > file names [wild screams of joy censored]

> What surprises you so much in it ?

> Note that I didn't say: don't use mkisofs, I just recommended mkhybrid=

> as I had successfully used it several times.

> > Not yet tried -J (Joliet), but I could NOT care less about Winblows
> > :-))

> Then you must be happy.
> because I have not to just administer FreeBSD, i.e. not just install a=
=20
mail
> server or a web server, but provide solutions for my company,
> which includes a bit of windoze hacking too (hope this will change=20
some day ...)

> --
> Sincerely etc.  Valery Zamarayev
> http://www.sea.com.ua

Dear Valery Zamarayev,

I apologize for not expressing myself clearly.

I failed to point out the following ideas:

1) the "classic" mkisofs is an interesting possibility, too;
2) the combination -D -U -R works fine **despite** the warnings in the=20
mkisofs man page: warnings against the -D and -U options.

That's it.=20
NO flame war intended :-)=20

I'll tell you some reasons for my wild enthusiasm.

A few days ago, I was given a couple of "impossible" CD-RW.=20

-- "These are the ONLY CD-RW I couldn't write", the Winblows guy said.=20
"I tried all my CD-writing programs. They did NOT work. You can keep=20
the CD-RWs if you like".=20

-- "Ok, I'll give'em a try", I replied.

The next day the two "impossible" CD-RWs were written, via mkisofs &=20
cdrecord. They contained FreeBSD sources, tarballs etc.=20

I won't describe this guy's face.=20
-- "How did you do ?", He asked
-- "Well, of course, Unix is NOT Winblows", I replied.

Best regards,
Salvo