Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 22:24:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Blair Schmittel <blair@strech.cyber-naut.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP FreeBSD won't boot off of EIDE

On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, Blair Schmittel wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a 1.6 gig WD HDD and a GSI EIDE controller.
>
> I installed the drive and the BIOS picked up the 1.6 gig.  The GSI BIOS didn't.  I installed Windows95 on the first 503 meg (It was all dos would see).  And then I installed FreeBSD on the remaining 1+ gig.  I rebooted the computer and it gave me this message:
>
> Boot:
> Error: c:1024 > 1023 (BIOS limit)
>
> Any suggestions???

Blair, while FreeBSD doesn't have the 1023 cylinder limit itself, it is
booted from the BIOS, so the beginning of the FreeBSD (the boot sector)
has to be visible to the BIOS.  This means that FreeBSD has to have it's
boot sector below the 1023 cylinder point.  That error you're seeing
isn't from FreeBSD, because FreeBSD hasn't booted at that point.

> Thanks,
> Blair

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;