Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:06:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD - the user's piece of the action.

At 09:57 PM 4/12/98 -0700, Don Wilde wrote:

>I beg to differ, Brett. The definition of 501c3 is very broad. Witness
>the political hacks Gingrich did with 501c3. You can 'educate' people
>about anything in almost any way. You can even make (limited) amounts of
>money commercially from it, as long as the money -- except for salaries
>and those needn't be tiny -- goes back into the educational purpose.

Not so -- especially not nowadays. The IRS is narrowing the definition
and the courts are supporting it. For example, quite a few computer
users' groups and community networks whose purpose is to teach people
about the Internet have lost their 501(c)(3) status. The Gingrich
Follies may be partially to blame.

I experienced this first-hand; an educational organization I founded
was initially given the go-ahead for 501(c)(3) and then booted out.
We pretty much had our choice between 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(12). We
took the latter because it had fewer restrictions on activity.

>There was a really good book written by Nolo Bene Press up in
>the bay area about Non Profits.

That's Nolo Press, and they have two books on non-profits. Unfortunately,
as we found out, they were overly optimistic about one's chances of getting
a positive determination.

>After all, we're not running drugs here
>and that's the only thing the Feds care about any more.

Not so at all. The IRS now cares about restricting organizations' tax
exemptions -- a lot. They're re-examining organizations that have had
501(c)(3)'s for decades.

--Brett