Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:37:47 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving Things [was Re: List of things to move from main tree]

> Absolutely, we're in violent agreement on that point.  I'm just
> suggesting that instead of having the policy be represented by
> SUBDIR lines in Makefiles, it should instead be something like
> this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>   <list>
>     <target>FreeBSD-standard</target>
>     <tag>RELENG_4</tag>
>     <desc>This is what constitutes the "standard" version of FreeBSD<desc>
>     <sub-targets>
> 	bin
> 	lib
> 	usr
> 	etc
> 	installer
>      </sub-targets>
>    </list>

OK - this is looking like something that can be played with!

I'll take the above example end spend some time seeing if I can come
up with some proof-of-concept code.

> And when I say something "like" that I'm really reaching because this
> is a seriously contrived example which doesn't even begin to enumerate
> all the various types of meta-data which one would need to describe
> "the standard release of FreeBSD."  I'm not even saying it would be in
> XML (please put those spears down), only that it would live outside of
> the actual build mechanism and simply become configuration data.

Right. Personally, i like XML, but the XML support stuff is big,
and that scares me.

> Such a thing would also finally get rid of all those evil and
> not-very-comprehensive NO_FOO variables in the source tree, as if
> any of us truly needed to see a list of our current build system's
> shortcomings.

Right! "Violent agreement", was it?

> And yes, I do also realize that coming up with something even half as
> sophisticated as what I've described so far will take more than lots
> of mere hand-waving on the subject.  Progress often moves in strange
> ways, so let's just see where all this goes.

:-)

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn