Date:      07 Dec 2001 01:22:11 +0800
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        Doug Silver <dsilver@quantified.com>, Jonathan Hanna <jhanna@shaw.ca>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 23:28, Kal Torak wrote:
> The problem the rest of us have is different... I am almost 100% sure
> this is being caused by a problem upstream, the data cant get out so
> the sendto buffer fills and seems to lock up the interface... I have a
> feeling this may be specific to PPP connections, anyone finding this
> locks there interface on a non PPP connection??? (pppoe is still ppp
> could this even be specific to pppoe??)

Add PPTP to the list; that's how I lose.  And in my case the "problem"
is that when I see it I'm using wavelan to either a machine with a 28.8
dialup, or a congested access point.  Also, ppp on the former locks up
in this fashion.

However, in the case of the PPTP connection there are some differences:

- it tends to drop loopback packets as an early indication that it's
about to report ENOBUFS;

- it recovers by itself after a few minutes.

Note that "netstat -m" shows this machine nowhere near any mbuf limits,
and increasing #mbufs or #mbclusters has no effect.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
allbery@kf8nh.apk.net