Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:22:26 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
Subject:   Re: BTX on USB pen drive

On Saturday 08 March 2008 04:29:25 pm Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:11:54 -0500
>
> John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
> > Success! I was able to boot my laptop from my USB stick built with
> > the btx_real patch (after I modified hunk 1 to work with the 7-STABLE
> > sources). Using the same stick on a different (Acer) laptop I was
>
> Interesting. Which Acer model is that?
> The laptop I have troubles booting from usb is an Acer Aspire 5672.
> I boot from an usb hard drive, not a memory stick, but that shouldn't
> make a matter, right?

I wouldn't think so. The Acer here (an Aspire 5520) won't even boot from
the internal CD with a regular ISO install disk. I haven't tried any
other approaches except for the USB stick with jhb's patch earlier today.

> > able to get farther in the boot than previously--it won't even boot
> > from a standard CD, but with the stick it got to the menu (and THEN
> > did a btx register dump, but it didn't loop/scroll).
> >
> > In case anyone (like Torfinn) is interested, I'm attaching my
> > modified patch. If you already applied jhb's patch then you should be
> > able to just cut out the first hunk from mine and apply it.
>
> Thanks.
> I already used the latest revision (1.45) of btx.S and applied jhb's
> patch to that. Unfortunately, it didn't work. See another message in
> this thread. Am I correct in thinking that your modified patch wouldn't
> help me?

Correct. (unless the unpatched version from -HEAD introduced a regression,
but I think they're pretty similar).

JN