Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:37:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "John P. Pagano" <jpagano@eecs.tufts.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual-Homing versus My Sanity

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, John P. Pagano wrote:

> I'm trying to set up my office network in the following way.  I have five
> PCs on an internal LAN, and an Indy (which hosts our web server) and a PC
> running FreeBSD 2.1.6 (Walnut Creek CD-ROM) on an external network.  I'm
> trying to use the FreeBSD-running PC as a dual-homed router / gateway for
> the LAN to reach the Internet, and for the Internet to reach our web
> server.
>
> I've engorged myself on FAQs and other documentation, but I just can't get
> the network to work.

I should have spent winter vacation writing the Pedantic PPP Proxy Primer.
It would increase my holdings in the useful documentation stock :)

> I have set up /etc/hosts to reflect my internal LAN,
> I have updated my routing table to include my Internet gateway, I have
> enabled the "gateway" option in /etc/sysconfig, and I am definitely
> running routed.  I am inexperienced with addressing subnets, so I assume
> that I may have omitted some vital configuration details along those
> lines.  But I have ifconfiged my two ethernet cards (3Com 507s) with their
> proper ip addresses.

Okay, here we go:

[ASCII art mode ENGAGED]

PC	PC	PC	PC	PC
|	|	|	|	|
---------Internal-Ethernet------------------
  |				    |
 Indy				FreeBSD

				Ethernet
				To ISP

> Here's a copy of my crippled routing table, which doesn't even seem to
> reflect my second ethernet card:
>
> Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire default 208.28.204.1 UGSc
> 0 0 ep0 10/24 link#3 UC 0 0 localhost localhost UH 0 320 lo0 208.28.204
> link#2 UC 0 0 208.28.204.1 link#2 UHLW 1 3

Crippled indeed; it looks like Pico's ^Justify option ate it!  :)

What are the addresses of the boxen on the internal net?  You'll need to
figure out your internal netmask.  Assuming you're using 192.168.0.x for
your-net, 192.168.0.1 for the inteface to your-net, and 192.168.1.1 for
your ISP's router/gateway:

route -f
route add -net 192.168.0.0 -interface 192.168.0.1 -netmask 0xffffff00
route add default 192.168.1.1

That should do it.