Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 01:01:07 -0500
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        "Darren" <backdoc@crotchett.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailman on freebsd

Ok, I think I've got you covered....

Your mailman cgi-bin entries should look like this:

Scriptalias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"<Directory

your mailman  Directory entry should look like this:

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
        AllowOverride None
        Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

(along with the entry for pipermail)

Your httpd.conf leaves out the quotation marks (" ")

(Congratulations, i made this same mistake, too)  :-)

Insert the quotation marks and run (as root):

/usr/local/sbin/apachectl graceful

Then, assuming you've configured the "test" list:

and you should see an intro screen

You can compare it to mine at:

Also be sure to add the alias entries that mailman generates when you create
a new  mailing list (newlist command ) to your /etc/mail/aliases (or
mailaliases file --whatever you have it named) then, again as root run the
newaliases command to create the aliases.db entry, kill and restart sendmail.
Mailman generates the alias entry for you during the newlist command, but
doesn't install it anywhere or perform any of the sendmail maintenance steps.

Before you kill sendmail, look at /var/run/sendmail.pid.  That file not only
tells you what PID that sendmail is running under, but gives you the flages
to restart sendmail -- tpically /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd  -q30m.

Hope this does the trick for you, let me know how you make out.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT