Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:30:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Hughes <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

Recompiling the kernel on a FreeBSD machine is very easy to do - just a
case of copying the kernel config file at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,
editing the lines you need to add in or take out support for different
dvices, and then running some makes. See the excellent handbook chapter on
it :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Personally the first thing I do on any FreeBSD install is to compile a
custom kernel, taking out all the things I don't need and adding in IPFW
support and the like. It takes very little time on a reasonable computer
(and certainly not a prohibitive amount of time even on very slow
computers - I have done kernel recompiles on a 486 in reasonable amounts
of time).

Think of it this way - most systems in use with FreeBSD right now, I would
imagine, have only one processor, so does it make sense to clutter the
generic kernel with code that most systems won't use? With a
source-provided OS, there's no need to do that.

Regards,
Mark

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> You have to recompile the kernel just to support more than one processor??

Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/
Your number one source for digital media and entertainment news!