Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 12:18:52 -0700
From:      Aditya <aditya@mighty.grot.org>
To:        O Senhor <osenhor@uol.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:08:17PM -0300, O Senhor wrote:
>    Do you know about performance in postfix? I have on FreeBSD (4.5) box
> running postfix and delivering mail in 65.000 mailboxes... I know about
> maildirs... but, how maildir would help me??? The postfix delivery agent
> simply can't do the jog. This is because a lot of entries???

maildir format puts each message into a separate, uniquely-named, file. That
way there are no locking issues during or between delivery and retrieval. This
means the delivery agent doesn't need to get a lock on a mailbox before
writing to it, saving it time and io.

I've used postfix quite succesfully to deliver to maildir-style "mailboxes"
for a few years now without any problems, albeit not for 65K mailboxes. YMMV.

Adi