Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:23:08 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org, developers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   New MAINTAINER sought for KDE2 core ports

Hi all,

I've really been getting swamped lately with various people asking me
for help with KDE2 stuff.  So I'm looking for a new maintainer since I'd
really rather work on a few other projects (especially openpkgs/make(1))
instead of trying to track/fix KDE2 (this includes the primary core of
KDE2 - kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase, kdegames et al).  This person must
be motivated and must really feel like "I like KDE, I want to help make
it work better for FreeBSD users."  Not that I do at the moment.  I
guess 6 months of repeatedly compiling it (~1,000 cpu hours (for about
125 or 130 full builds plus at least 300 individual ones for testing
purposes) plus about 200 or so of my own time) and pathetically trying
to make the PLISTs sync properly have taken the toll on me.  I am
tired of it, and I'm just now more interested in less time-consuming
(and far more interesting, at least to me) projects to take on.

Also, if someone else wants to "maintain" the KDE 1.x ports.. there
really isn't anything to "maintain" since KDE 1.x is no longer being
developed in any way whatsoever and it's been that way for quite some
now so I'm just going to axe those ports in February as scheduled (may
extend this until next summer or later if apps don't follow quickly)
providing KDE2 starts working by then (KDE 2.1 is scheduled for release
around that time).  KDE2 appears horribly broken at the moment.  :-(

This is a one-person job (i.e. you can't maintain any one part of the
core ports), any other way will just make it more difficult, unless
said people work together on a regular basis or something.

Anyone who feels they are up to the task, please email me privately.
Thanks to all that helped; I'm ready to hang up my hat now.  *sigh*

--
wca