Date:      Tue, 15 May 2007 12:23:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        ivoras@fer.hr
Cc:        des@des.no, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS DOWN

In message: <46482AD2.7010700@fer.hr>
            Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr> writes:
: >  I see no reason not vindicate their mistakes.
:
: I do: these days I need to heavily justify using FreeBSD instead of
: Linux, and "the applications you want to run don't actually work on
: FreeBSD" is not a nice thing to say.

We can't possibly be bug-for-bug compatible with Linux.  That's just
an impossible standard to hit.  Given the level of bugs in Linux, it
isn't desirable. :-)

: I feel that nowadays it's not a contest in popularity, it's damage
: control phase.

We just need more people to run PHP more often to catch these things
and submit patches to the authors.  That's the real problem here.
While the primary authors assume all the world is Linux, having a
vocal base of testers for FreeBSD pounding them into submission will
fix the problem quickly.

: OTOH, everyone's entitled to his own opinion and won't argue this point
: any more.

Agreed.

Warner