Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:56:30 -0500
From:      "Corey G." <cgaff@flashcom.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade procedures

I am just a little puzzled on the best method for upgrading FreeBSD.
For this question I would be most concerned with the latest methods such
as an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1.

Would I be correct in saying that burning a CD and using sysinstall
would be the correct procedure?  I remember seeing a warning somewhere
that mentioned sysinstall must be upgraded first before using this
method.  I may have read it wrong but it sounded this way.  If this is
true I am unable to find the exact procedure for doing this.  I believe
it's upgraded when /usr/src is upgraded but I am not entirely sure.

Would it be necessary to first cvsup src and rebuild world or should I
just use sysinstall to do the upgrade and later upgrade /usr/src?

I successfully upgraded using the following steps although they may be
somewhat incorrect.

1. did a cvsup of src-all
2. did a make buildworld
3. did a make installworld
4. followed the procedures in the handbook for upgrading /etc and such
5. rebuilt the kernel and rebooted
6. used sysinstall to upgrade the rest of the system

If using sysinstall does not upgrade sources will compiling a new kernel
still grab the correct source during the compile?

Does this look correct?  The handbook does not describe this method in
such detail.

Thanks,

--
Best Regards,