Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:56:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Wolstenholme <wolstena@sfu.ca>
To:        Mike Francis <derf@netxxpress.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back-UPs

Not long ago, I was asking the same question.  If there was a consensus,
it appeared to be that dump/restore was the way to go.  There is suggested
at the FreeBSD Homepage at the section in the HandBook dedicated to
backups.

The strength/weakness of dump is that it backs up file systems.
If you installed FreeBSD using the defaults you would have 4
slices/partitions /,/var,/usr,swap. To do a full backup you would have to
issues 3 separate dump commands (you don't have to worry about the swap).
Most people I talked to have written scripts, programs or use Amanda to
automate the process.  Unlike other methods like tar, you do not have any
constraints regarding long file names.

The great thing about restore is that it has a interactive mode that makes
it very easy to make selective restores.

Both dump and restore on remote devices (e.g. dat).

/Paul