Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:18:44 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <gryph@mindless.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux convert...

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> I wouldn't worry about it - the difference between 3.x and 4.0 won't be
> nearly as big as between 2.x and 3.0 (which diverged for several years
> before 3.0-RELEASE came around), and most people survived that epochal
> event without major hassles. The best thing to do when that day rolls
> around next year is to wait a few weeks, watch what problems others run
> into, and then proceed cautiously yourself.

Usually, when I upgrade the OS on a system, I take the opportunity
to hardware upgrades and reload the entire system (exlcuding my
archives) so I can get it all done over a weekend and manage to get
away with almost no business-hours downtime.  So usually my "upgrade"
consists of dumping /etc to tape and reloading it after the install.

That leaves one major question: What config-file rework will be
needed to load 3.x configs into 4.0?

--
"Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity.  Truth
and faithfulness are the most sacred excellences and endowments of