Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:23:11 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Netcards

> A clear and growing problem with the FreeBSD camp is that no one
> cares about the RELEASES, which is what most of the real world is
> using. telling me that a bug was fixed in 3.0 in March and still hasnt
> made it into a release explains why the releases over the past year
> have been rather disappointing with much of the FreeBSD talent's
> focus elsewhere.

This highlights the fact that *you* should be pulling changes back from
-current, testing them in your obviously well-equipped lab with your
obvious amounts of spare time, and forwarding changes for committing.

The "problem" is that people like you would prefer to carp on about
nobody caring rather than actually caring yourself.

If you are willing to *guarantee* that you will look at one major
bugfix per week that's made it into -current, backport it to -stable,
test it (and I'd bet you can find a few people to help there), I will
match your guarantee with my own; that your diffs *will* be attended
to in a timely fashion, and they *will* make it into the next release
off the -stable line.

> The de driver is another illustration of that.

The 'de' driver receives continued attention from various people, most
notably Peter Wemm.  If we were to follow every one of Matt's updates
in -stable, people would be screaming a lot louder than they do now.

> >It is wrong if userland can make a kernel panic, I agree.  If kernel
> >bugs can make the kernel panic, that is OK by me.
>
> If an add-on driver makes a bad call a warning should be printed and the
> operation refused. Its time that FreeBSD recognize that 3rd party
> software exists (especially with loadable modules) and that errors
> aren't confined to core team's test beds.

I don't think you have thought this through very carefully.  Many
of the interfaces presented to a driver are not procedural; straight
memory access not being the least of these.  In most cases, where it is
possible and reasonable to vet arguments to a function, they are
vetted.  Generally however it is expected that callers will supply
sensible arguments to functions; if they don't then you have a bug that
should be caught by the developer during testing, and a panic is a
simple means of ensuring this.

If a vendor produces a buggy add-on driver, the problem is *solely* the
vendor's.
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\