Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 08:34:30 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Jason Garman <garman@phs.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing primary&secondary ide interface freezes 2.1.5

Jason Garman wrote:

> I just received a new 2 gig ide hard drive and promptly installed it in my
> computer, attaching it to the secondary ide interface on my motherboard
> (which is a cmd640b controller).
>
> Anyhow, the drive is detected on bootup:
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A>
> wd0: 696MB (1427328 sectors), 1416 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU55E/1.0u>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <Maxtor 72004 AP>
> wd2: 1916MB (3924144 sectors), 3893 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>
> And accessing the drive works fine.  I managed to fdisk it and disklabel
> it for FreeBSD.
>
> However, the problem comes when I try to access both interfaces (i.e. the
> cdrom and the new 2gig hd, or my old 730meg hd and the new 2 gig hd) at
> once, at which point the computer simply freezes completely.  Obviously
> this makes this setup totally unusuable.
>
> Has anyone seen this before??  Any way to avoid this?  Any suggestions
> whatsoever?  I've been banging my head over this for weeks now.I had this problem when I first tried to install FreeBSD 2.1.0. I only
realized what it was much later (after I dumped one of the disks... :-(.

I have absolutly no idea on what it might be, but one thing I can tell you is
that I had a FIREBALL too, so it might be something with those. I'd really
like to know if anyone has any solution to this problem as I have a lot of
machines with a CMD640 (all DEC Venturis) and would like to have the option
of having two drives + a CD on those.