Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 10:18:35 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        Dan Harnett <danh@wzrd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using radius to NT server?

IIRC the port 1645 for Radius is the port that is used by Livingston for
there Portmaster Routers, etc. Livingston (now a div of AT&T) is the shop
where Radius was first drafted, written and implemented. As a result most
"older" radius software and hardware use the 1645 port...  I have not read
the RFC and would frankly be curious as to how the port got changed from
the "factory' spec  to port 1812.

At 09:41 AM 5/31/00, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 06:17:09PM +1000, Corey Ralph wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am attempting to set up a freebsd 4.0 box for a ppp dialin server.  I am
> > using mgetty and pppd 2.3.10 with the radius patch.
> >
> > The problem is with the radius.  Our radius server is NT, it doesn't
> seem to
> > respond.
> >
> > pppd is reporting 'RADIUS: No valid RADIUS responses recieved'.
> >
> > Possibly a compatibility issue?  I have been told that there is something
> > non-standard in the NT radius server, our 3com boxes need to be configured
> > differently to use it.
> >

>You might want to check what port the radius server is listening on.  By
>default, FreeBSD uses the port defined in the RFC, udp port 1812.  A lot of
>equipment and vendors use a non-standard port, usually 1645.  Take a look at
>radius.conf(5) for how to make use of it.
>
>--
>  Dan Harnett                                Wizard Communication Systems,
> Inc.
>  Email: danh@wzrd.com                       2 Main Street
>  Phone: (716) 743-0091                      Tonawanda, NY  14150

Ryugen, that "Old Frog" hisself
Ryugen@palaver.org