Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 21:51:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@rock.ghis.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ping 127.0.0.1 => no route to host (fwd)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday,  2 May 2000 at 21:10:15 -0700, Dan Langille wrote:
> > I've just swapped a hard drive from a slower box to a faster box.  The
> > networking on the new box is fuggered.  All pings give no "route to host"
> > including 127.0.0.1.
> >
> > Here are the system details.  Thanks.
> >
> > # uname -a
> > FreeBSD ducky.nz.freebsd.org 3.3-19991207-SNAP FreeBSD 3.3-19991207-SNAP
> > #1: Wed May  3 15:07:46 NZST 2000
> > root@ducky.nz.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/DUCKY40S  i386
>
> I was expecting that.  There was a problem in 3.3 where loopback
> didn't get installed in /etc/rc.conf.  You should be able to fix
> things immediately with:
>
>  # ifconfig lo0 127.1

Very strange.  This was a working system for a long
time.  Then I swapped the hard drive to another box.  Now,
after recompiling the kernel, I have these problems.

After doing the "ifconfig lo0 127.1", ping 127.0.0.1 did work, as did a
ping of the local IP address.  But...

> For lasting relief, make sure that you have this in your /etc/rc.conf:
>
>   ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"	# default loopback device configuration.

When I made the above change and rebooted, ping 127.0.0.1 no longer
works.  Not even after doing a "ifconfig lo0 127.1".

> You also *used* to need to set the name in the network_interfaces
> variable:
>
>   network_interfaces="ed0 ed1 ep0 lo0 tun0 xl0"
>
> I'm not sure whether that still applied to 3.3 or not.  If you have
> network_interfaces in /etc/rc.conf, make sure that it includes lo0.

lo0 was and is included in network_interfaces in /etc/rc.conf.
Which is why I didn't think the messages I was finding in
-questions applied to my situation.

Still trying more stuff.  thanks.