Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:16:36 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        pete collins <pcollins@ocsny.com>
Cc:        Roman Jemets <r.jemets@ts.ee>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: purge ttys

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, pete collins wrote:

> > As I understand, that means wtmp logout record isn't created and utmp
> > record isn't cleared by some reason, one of which may be abnormal shell
> > termination. ps should *always* show the real number of processes and
> > terminals to which they are connected. Init process should clear
> > utmp records eventually, I guess.

> yes these are all abnormal shell terminations over the course of time
> i'm not sure if utmp is cleared over time
>
> because i ran out of ttys yesterday
> i killed a bunch of sshd's that were lingering to clear things up a little

Maybe you could use sessreg, something like this:

/usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -d -u /var/run/utmp -w /var/log/wtmp -l ttyp1 username

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer