Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 12:02:46 -0500
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        mschwartz@crosswinds.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Dimension 4100

mschwartz@crosswinds.net wrote:

> I am desperately trying to get FreeBSD to install on a Dell Dimension 4100.
> The system boots but when sysinstall tries to probe for devices, the system
> freezes.  Also, the kernel configuration doesn't show my ethernet card when
> I know I have a supported 3Com card.  What can I do, I really want to run FreeBSD
> and not the RedHat Linux which came with it.

I just installed FreeBSD on two 4100's a few weeks ago without any
problems. Can you give more details on the problems and what you did
during installation? Did you remove all of the conflicts in the
configuration editor? If the 3Com card is PCI/PnP it won't show up since
PCI cards are autodetected later.