Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:57:10 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nsswitch.conf man page

In the last episode (Jul 16), sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us said:
> I don't see anything in the man page about adding ldap into the
> nsswitch.conf file.  Is that something that I can do so that I can
> get applications to use my openldap?
>
> I would assume I could add something to the affect of:
>
> passwd files ldap
> group files ldap
>
> but all I see is compat, files, nis and dns for options.

The manpage only lists the builtin sources.  If a builtin source with
the specified name isn't found, the code will search for an
nss_xxxx.so.1 shared object and load that.  So once you install the
nss_ldap port, then the ldap source will start working.  Also consider
enabling nscd and adding the "cache" source before your "ldap" source.
ldap group memership queries are slow :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com