Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:55:04 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: one more load-cycle-count problem

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:43:46 +0200 Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com> wrote
about RE: one more load-cycle-count problem:

DN> >Any further ideas how to get rid of this "feature"?

DN> 1) The most "clean" solution is probably using the WDIDLE3 utility on
DN> your drives to disable automatic parking or in cases where its not
DN> possible to complete disable it, you can adjust it to 5 minutes, which
DN> essentially solves the problem. Note that going this route will
DN> probably involve rebuilding your entire array from scratch, because
DN> applying WDIDLE3 to the disk is likely to very slightly affect disk
DN> geometry, but just enough for hardware raid or ZFS or whatever to bark
DN> at you and refuse to continue using the drive in an existing pool (the
DN> affected disk can become very slightly smaller in capacity). Backup
DN> data, apply WDIDLE3 to all disks. Recreate the pool, restore backups.
DN> This will also void your warranty if used on the new WD drives,
DN> although it will still work just fine.

Thanks for the warning. How on earth can a tool to set the idle time
affect the disk geometry?!

DN> 2) A less clean solution would be to setup a script that polls the
DN> SMART data of all disks affected by the problem every 8-9 seconds and
DN> have this script launch on boot. This will keep the affected drives
DN> just busy enough to not park their heads.

That's what I'm doing since yesterday when I first noted the problem on
this particular system. Not a pretty solution either. I'm close of buying
Hitachi drives instead (HTE545050B9A300). Does anyone here know these
drives and can confirm that they do not have this kind of problem (I
would expect it because of the 24/7 certification)?

cu
  Gerrit