Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:49:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Lawrence Wickline" <larryw@katlar.com>
To:        <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCMCIA/Wireless freezes and/or disconnects

I am having some problems with my wireless connection disconnecting me
from the network. first the gory details. I am using a dell Inspiron
8200 running KDE3 on 4.7-p1. My NIC is a Lynksys WPC11 version 2.5 and
my access point is a Belkin gateway/firewall/hub.

What happens is after the card is initialized everything works fine. It
does take a few seconds for the card to be found and loaded but it does
come on ok and work. In my pccard.conf file I call a script that
executes the various wicontrol commands to set key and net....

Now after the card has been up for about 5 minutes I stop being able to
make new connections. I have noticed that applications that were started
immediately after the card comes up stay connected. like if i open a ssh
connection it will continue to work and if I fire up Netscape and
continually click on links it will still work. But if I actual stop and
read a page for more than a few minutes Netscape stops being able to
open up a new connection.

I always can connect to the access point but I figure that is because
the connection is always in use. But I cant connect beyond.

If I rerun the configuration script I call in pccard.conf the problem
goes away for about 5 mins before appearing again.

last thing is the card works fine in windows on the same hardware. This
has to be a BSD thing.

Does anyone have any idea why this is going on or have a fix? This is
pretty much the last hurdle I have to getting fully on BSD on my laptop.
(minus getting DVD to play well:))

PS. It does also take several (10-15) seconds for the OS to detect the
card has been removed. I did find this as a problem that had been
reported to this mailing list previously. Is it possible these problems
are related?

Thanks,
Larry