Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:37:22 GMT
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping DNS lookups local

Don Croyle said:
>Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes:
>
>> Make sure you aren't running named, since it will override resolv.conf.
>
>I am running named, and am reluctant to give up the benefits of a
>local DNS cache.  So from what you're telling me, having a resolv.conf
>is probably just wasting an inode.
>
>Would I accomplish anything by writing some zone files and declaring
>myself authoritative for my local subdomains and the chunk of network
>10 that I'm playing with?

That is more or less what I am doing -- set myself up as a primary for the
192.168 private network, and forward all other DNS requests to my ISP.  The
only thing to give me grief was sendmail; it insists on doing some domain
lookups when mail is submitted, despite being told that SMTP is expensive
and to just queue it.  The fix is to have it relay everything through your
ISP's mail host (probably not a bad idea anyway) and set up a 'service
switch' file that explicitly doesn't mention DNS.  The details are all in
the FAQ on www.sendmail.org.

I now have bind before hosts in /etc/host.conf, my gateway machine as the
only nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf and practically nothing in /etc/hosts.
It might also help you to have your ppp.linkdown script clear out the
routing tables and reset the interface address and default route to
something your name server knows about -- this will stop things from
dialing out when they look at the routing tables.

This setup is continually being refined, so please let me know if you come
up with anything new, or need any more help.

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell          | PGP Key ID |"If I can't have my coffee, I'm just
<scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>   | 0xE8A64271 | like a dried up piece of roast goat"
QMW College, London, UK |            |     -- J. S. Bach.