Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:28:46 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

On 18 Nov 2009, at 14:03, Dan Naumov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Gary Jennejohn
> <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:44:12 +0200
>> Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is such a load of BS I could fertilize 100 acres with it.
>>
>> In this day of inexpensive computers with fast mulit-core CPUs and
>> gigabytes of memory this argument is completely lame.
>
> No it is not. The fact that computers are faster today is not a valid
> excuse to inconvenience the users whatsoever.
>
> It is bad enough that sysinstall doesn't support ZFS so a ZFS-only
> installation has to be done purely using a commandline, but demanding
> the user to rebuild the system to be able to boot off a filesystem
> which is one of the most advertised features of FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x is
> plain ridiculous.
>
> What if the user is a newcomer who doesn't _HAVE_ an existing FreeBSD
> installation he could use to build a ZFS-boot-capable FreeBSD
> installation image? If a user goes to www.freebsd.org and downloads
> the .ISO images of 8.0, it is completely unreasonable to force the
> user to jump through having to make an installation, rebuild the
> sources, make a new .ISO for his own use and then reinstall using
> that. If you don't see WHY, I don't quite know what to tell you.

The lack of ZFS support in the default loader is not a good argument against building from source, it is an exception. The only reason it has anything to do with compiling world is that currently compiling from source is the only way to get ZFS support in the loader, something for which there's currently a patch being tested.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:909,4b052bf011731116417714!