Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:51:23 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   Re: [TEST/REVIEW/HEADSUP] tty drivers mega-patch

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 05:07:05AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> > boot -s is generally broken. No characters can be typed. This is
> > with syscons(4) and uart(4) and probably any other driver. Might
> > be related to the lack of NL->CRNL
>
> do you actually see the .../bin/sh message ?

Yes. Hitting enter just doesn't have an effect.

> I have reported boot -s problems on amd64 some days ago w/o any
> additional tty patches but I also do not get the .../bin/sh line.

It's probably not related to the patches in particular, but may
be related to TTY in general. Typically, when there's no device
found during bus enumeration that matches the device used for the
system console, then init(8) will not have a device for its stdin,
stdout and stderr. This used to result in a panic, but this may
have changed with the dev_t refcounting. This should also have its
effect when booting multi-user BTW.

So, make sure you see the device used for the system console probed
and attached in the dmesg. That's about the best thing I can suggest
without having read your report.