Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:30:07 -0700
From:      unsafe at any speed <erich@niobium.compecon.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drives

Chad R. Larson wrote:

> I've been using an HP DDS-2 4mm DAT drive quite successfully on a
> FreeBSD machine at my office.
>
> I was browsing the Insight web site for SCSI tape drives under $600 for
> use at home, and found the expected 8mm and 4mm tapes.
>
> However, I found that Segate, HP and a couple of others were selling
> Travan (TR-4) drives (4 GB native capacity in) SCSI versions for a couple
> of hundred bucks less than the 4mm DAT drives.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience with SCSI Travan drives under
> FreeBSD?  If so, how are they working out?

I occasionally use a Seagate 4GB (native) Tr-4 drive attached to the
2940 on my 2.2.7-stable system. It works like a champ, but there are
things to consider:

- the tapes are really expensive ($30-40 ea.) compared to DAT
- it's slower, not sure by how much exactly, maybe half as fast as DDS-2
- I think the Travan drives generally don't have compression built in;
  I know mine doesn't.

So it doesn't take too many tapes before you wish you had a DAT instead. :)

hope this helps,
Eric Hedstrom
erich@compecon.com