Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: minicom

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:

> OK, and thats essentially what I was trying to accomplish (and what
> works for me on Linux) by running minicom in an rxvt.  Exactly.  And, as
> you suggest above, it does act quite differently (as expected) if run in
> an xterm (its reall y not usable actually).  I've also tried using
> different shells in the rxvt.  Is t here something else along those
> lines that I should be trying, or is minicom not likely to give me that
> accurate emulation in an rxvt because its really a port of a Linux app?
> Is that the key here?

Just because it's a port won't change it's emulation characteristics.  I'm
not familiar with how minicom does business in terms of emulation since I
don't use it.  My guess is that it would work the same way it does in
Linux, emulation and all.

At least on the PCs, the definitive terminal emulator that we use here at
the UO for our Banner applications is Kermit95.  The unix kermit may be
just as good in terms of terminal emulation, but again I don't use them
that much to know.

>From an xterm, though, apps run on our vms boxes look just fine, so I
think you should be OK.  You'd have to try it to be sure.

Hope this helps.