Date:      Sun, 19 May 2013 20:41:31 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
Cc:        Joe <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>, "<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: does ifconfig see netgraph bridges?

On May 19, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> On 05/19/2013 04:57 PM, Joe wrote:
>> I create a ng bridge but issuing ifconfig does not show the bridge.
>> Running 9.1-RELEASE.
>> Is this a bug?
>=20
> ifconfig is not supposed to know about a netgraph bridge. So this is
> by design. Also, since the bridge is supposed to be transparent to the
> network i wouldn't know what kind of information would be relevant to ifc=
onfig, that is the netgraph bridge has no MAC, no IP etc. What info
> are you after?
>=20

To see the upper/lower links to a bridge, you want to execute (as root):

ngctl ls -l

The output is a bit cluttered, as there's no empty newline between the head=
ers as it enumerates the different types.

Just as traditional "ls" you can give it a path, however the path is not de=
limited by "/" but by ":" to separate the peers, etc.

Start small by trying to ls your bridge (and then ls -l your bridge). If me=
mory serves (on the go, so don't have a terminal to try this out before giv=
ing the tip):

	ngctl ls -l bridge0:

Should perhaps show the connected links.

When in doubt=85 go interactive=85

	ngctl

And try different combinations of "ls" and "ls -l" on the prompt.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.