Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:53:36 +0800
From:      "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kernel profiling?

Hiya,

Whats the "right" way to grab kernel profiling data these days?

I've tried using the kernel profiling w/ kgmon and gprof but the top CPU
wasters are the profiling functions themselves, quickly followed by
write_eflags(). I'm not sure this is valid at all.

I'm running 6-stable on an Athlon 1800XP, so its uniprocessor and
(relatively) slow. I'm hitting the server rather hard with a few thousand
TCP connections a second; I'm trying to figure out where my ~60% of kernel
time and ~35% of interrupt time is going.

Thanks,

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd - adrian@freebsd.org